Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Christmas + Teaching = Fun????


I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Christmas. I love the build up! I love the lights everywhere you look and the happy Christmas songs playing everywhere. I love that almost EVERYONE is in a good mood around Christmas. I love seeing my family and spending time with them. I love seeing their faces when they open the gift I've spent hours creating.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE teaching. Every time I teach I have a random moment that immediately makes me think "How did I get so lucky! I love my job!" I love relating with the kids. I love when I see the, as I call it, "light bulb moment"- the moment when it all finally clicks and they totally understand what you've been trying to teach them. I love being able to share all I know.

So, by the distributive property of mathematics, if I love Christmas and I love teaching, I must love teaching AT Christmastime. Right? That should work, right?! If you believed this statement should be true, you weren't the only one! I thought "How fun will this be?! Christmas projects, and music, and happy children...." and that is where the error occurred!! I thought that happy children would be a good thing!!!

Unfortunately, I was wrong!! I have discovered the hard way that the week before Christmas break kids are ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!!! They are SO excited for not only a break from school, but also for getting absolutely spoiled in a week, that they are bouncing off the walls! It's like they've been eating nothing but sugar for a week! "
You mean we have to actually learn this week? But don't you realize that this is the week before Christmas? Christmas is coming!!!"

So, I'm excited to say that I have disproven the distributive property! At least when applied to concepts other than math. I will take all that I have learned this week and keep it in mind when I have my own classroom. (And I'll try to remember to save at least 1 sick day for this week!!!) But in the meantime, I'd like to say....

CHRISTMAS IS IN 5 DAYS!!! YEAY!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TILL CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
(What can I say, I HAVE had candy....)

No comments: